You have cancer …
These words took on new meaning in 2019 when Andy’s wife Meredith received these life-altering words. Following treatment in 2020 for a correctly diagnosed rare form of lymphoma, Meredith and Andy are using the gift of stable health and time to help others navigate their cancer journey.
In 2022, they were invited to co-chair the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s Light The Night West Michigan campaign to raise awareness and funds to fight the second leading cause of death in the United States.
As part of this year-long volunteer commitment, The Gremel Group serves as a corporate sponsor for the event as well as formed The Gremel Group Gladiators team for the October 6, 2022 Light The Night Event in downtown Grand Rapids.
We are most grateful to our clients, colleagues, vendors, family and friends who joined us to bring light to the darkness of cancer. Collectively, we raised over $300,000 in West Michigan to advance patient outcomes and improve access to care.
Access to care if critical, and for the past 35+ years, our agency has dedicated ourselves to ensuring businesses and individuals have access to affordable insurance and advisory services. PLEASE share LLS’s resources with your networks – one call to 800.955.4572 can be a life saver to a family in need.
If the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society isn’t on your radar, here are a few notables:
- Over the past five years, LLS has help advance 85% of the blood cancer treatment options approved by the FDA. Also please note that 40% of all FDA approved treatments for cancer were originally developed for blood cancers.
- Here in Michigan, last year LLS granted over $9M to residents to help pay for their cancer treatments, travel, and medications and ensure access to care. LLS also invested over $2.6M in research grant support to the University of Michigan & Van Andel Institute blood cancer research initiatives. (Since founded in 1949, LLS has invested over $1.5B in research).
- In 2021, LLS’s Information Specialists connected over 26,000 callers to healthcare providers, educational resources, peer partners, AND financial assistance. And they did so in 170 different languages!
- Blood cancers are the most prevalent form of cancers; every three minutes someone is diagnosed and every nine minutes a loved one loses their battle. Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia is the most common childhood cancer. Fortunately, since the 1940’s, LLS’s support has helped increase childhood leukemia survival rates from 5% to over 90%).
- LLS is a national organization with chapters throughout the United States. Light The Night events are held throughout 200 markets in the US each fall, engaging companies and communities to raise awareness of and funds for LLS’s resources.
- LLS is a leader in financial stewardship, receiving top ranking with Charity Navigator, Guide Star, Great Nonprofits and Charity Watch Dog